Monday 12 September 2011

Touching up a scallop job

I scalloped a guitar, particularly a Made in China Squier just about 2 years ago. However, the scalloping wasn't even. I've wrote previously that the deepness of the scallop doesn't make a difference. It's merely a cosmetic effect. I am that particular about cosmetic effect actually. I've always wanted to touch up the scallop but was too lazy. Well today is the day that I shall stop being lazy.


First, I tape up the sides as marker on how deep I want the scallop to go. After that, with a normal half round file, I file the sides to build in the deep half rounded sides. This will act as a guide for the deep scallop.


Having done all the sides, it's time to whip out the half round wood rasp and start filing away. Start filing until it hits the deepness of the guides. At this point, it doesn't matter if it looks good or not. There is always sand paper later on.


Once the depth has been filed to, next is to touch up the scallop with sandpaper. Starting with zero grit sandpaper, and start sanding away with hand. Slowly working up til high grit sandpaper. After all that is done.........


An even looking Scallop job. Since it's deep scallop, the inlays have been scalloped away. I need to redo the inlay and seal the neck again. Once again to my favorite hand rubbed oil finish. Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment