Monday 5 September 2011

Dragonfire screamers


I've finally got around to swapping out my stock Ibanez V1 and V2 pickups to try the Dragonfire screamers. On first try, they are actually pretty decent pickups for it's price.

These pick ups were tested out with a Marshall Mini Stack using only Amp distortion with max gain, all EQ set at flat. I put them into my Frankenstein and it seems to handle the Mahogany body pretty well. Starting with the neck pickup, which is to me my most important pickup of all position, even at max gain, the pickups still retains the clarity I need when doing fast runs. The pickups also has a thick and fat bottom end spectrum that doesn't mud out even at max gain. The pickup also has a very nice after tone to it, responding well to picking. Most important of all, it has that warmth to it, making it very pleasant to the ear.

The bridge pick up, even though at the bright side, has a lot of crunch and bite to it. Again, it doesn't mud out with max gain while retaining that clarity when doing rhythm work. Similar to the Dimarzio Evolutions that I so love, overwound at 16.9k it also has tons of harmonic overtones, making pinch harmonics really easy. If you are a fan of Steve Vai or Joe Satriani's Squeeling, these pick ups are really easy for that kind of stuff.

All and all, these pickups are really hot. Lots of dynamics. Another plus point of these pickups is, the pick ups come in 5 connectors and you can choose to coil split the pickup if you want to.

I've also did a unfair comparison to the Dimarzio Evolutions, which are fitted in my RG550, a basswood guitar. Even comparing to a Mid Bass dominant wood with Mid bass overdose pick ups, the Dragonfire Screamers are a tad too bassy and less clear compared to the Evolutions. However, at the price that they are going for, they are worth every cent. I would definitely recommend it to anyone out there who wishes to swap out that crap stock pickup for something nicer to the ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment