Wednesday 7 September 2011

Dragonfire Vintage Tremolo for MIC or MIM Strats

So, about a week ago, I wrote about my Dragonfire parts and if you still remember, there is a bridge with a solid steel block, custom made to fit Asian or Mexican Strat.


So I've finally gotten around in installing the bridge, setting up the intonation and action. First thing first, in terms of fitting, this thing fits like a glove. It is a direct drop into your Squiers, Fender Japan and Mexican made Strats. For DIY enthusiasts such as I am, you can fit these into your SX, Artisian, Smash, Timbre and etc Strat copies.



Full size solid Steel BlockThin Mystery Pot Metal Block


Now if you will take sometime to examine the 2 types of block above, you can tell just by visual alone the big difference between both blocks. The Dragonfire one (The one on the left) features a thick solid steel block while the usual stock one features a Thin Mystery Pot Metal Block. One might argue that a bigger block means heavier weight on the guitar however we also know that the Tremolo Block of the guitar does contribute to the tone significantly. Especially on a Vintage Tremolo type where the string are being string through from the block.

How does this change the sound quality? Well, after changing the blocks, the immediate difference that I can pick up is that the tone is fuller compared to that Mystery Pot Metal Block. There is also an apparent increase in sustain while notes are more apparent in responses.


Let's take a look at the back cavity of my "Malmsteen". This is how it looks like after installation. We can tell from the picture that the Block sits in nicely giving enough space for a whammy down with no fear of the block hitting the cavity.

The only bad point I can think about this Tremolo is that for the first time when I screwed in the Tremolo arm and did a whammy down, to my horror, the Tremolo arm bent slightly at the base near the screw area. So I guess they didn't QC on the arm too well. My consolation is that my friend passed me another one of his extra made in China Tremolo arms and it fitted nicely into the Tremolo block. No bending after a whammy down. Phew!

This is a great upgrade for those who are looking in upgrading their Mexican, Asian Strats or Strat copy. For just 32.95 USD excluding shipping, you can get a great tonal upgrade to your beloved Strat. Say no to Mystery Pot Metal Blocks today!

No comments:

Post a Comment