Monday 31 October 2011

How to scallop your fretboard

Previously, I wrote on the benefits of a scalloped fretboard and after yesterday's clinic, I noticed that Kiko's guitar is scalloped from 12th fret onwards. I've always wanted to try just half scalloping instead of having the whole neck scalloped. So I whipped out my files, took some pictures of the process and I shall write a short article on how to actually go about doing it.

Tools you will need.
1. Half round wood rasp
2. 0 Grit Glass paper
3. Half round file
4. 300 Grit Sand paper
5. 600 Grit Sand paper
6. Lemon oil

Step 1: I usually start off with  the upper frets (Start from 24). As the frets are too small, I will wrapped 0 grit glass paper on a huge screw driver and start filing away. As you are attempting to create a groove, you will have to do it against the grain of the wood. Continue filing after you see a semi circle carve form on the fretboard.


Step 2: For Frets 19 onwards, I will use the half round wood rasp and start filing away the wood for the groove. It is a lot faster with the wood rasp but the wood rasp is unable to create a smooth surface. It is fine, just get the correct height you want for the scallop.


Step 3: Use the zero grit glass paper, and start sanding the half complete scalloped frets to smooth out the existing grooves created from the file or wood rasp.

Step 4: Repeat step 3 with the 300 grit sand paper.

Step 5: Repeat step 3 with the 600 grit sand paper.

Step 6: Once all the visible scratches are smooth out, pour a healthy dose of lemon oil onto the exposed wood (Only for rose wood) to replenish the oil of the wood.


Step 7: Enjoy your newly scalloped fingerboard.

For maple fretboard, instead of replenishing the oil on the fretboard with lemon oil, you can alternatively use sealing oil to seal up the pores of the wood for a nice lustre look. I've previously touched up one of my maple fretboard scallop job and refinished the fretboard with Tru-Oil. You can read more about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment