Sunday 9 October 2011

Fretless/Fret Hybrid Bass


Was surfing the Ibanez Website as a temporary GAS fix today and I happened to chance upon Ibanez latest innovation of Fretless/Fret Hybrid Bass. I am not a bass player myself but I find this concept highly innovative. This is Ibanez's attempt to give bass players option in their instrument. First 2 strings being fretless while the rest fretted.Four fretted strings are tuned normal E-A-D-G to cover cool bass lines, while the two fretless strings are tuned to the same D and G as the fretted strings.

It also features a Light Ash body with 5-piece Jatoba/Bubinga neck. This combination of exotic wood gives this bass a unique blend of tone. If I were a bass player, I will definitely give this bass a go. The next question would be if they are going to do something similar for the guitar. Scallop/non-Scallop hybrid?

No comments:

Post a Comment