Thursday 1 March 2012

Evolution of my Pedal Board part 5


At this point of time, I was pretty much quite sure on what I was going for. The previous casing was not big enough to contain all my pedals and as such, I shifted to a soft casing instead. Which is actually a lot lighter compared to the hard case. Also, since it's longer, it also allows me to fit in more pedals, which actually isn't a very bright idea considering how much they weight when together.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to snatch a MXR EVH phaser pedal which is used by Steve Vai. That immediately replaced the Biyang that I had before. Also, adding to the list of modulation effects that I have is a Beta Aivin RV-5 reverb pedal. To be very honest, this pedal is actually a clone of the Boss RV-5. No prizes for guessing! Having both a Delay and Reverb pedal allows me to achieve that "For the Love of God" Steve Vai kind of tone on pretty much any amp I want.

Additionally, I've also managed to land myself an Ibanez TS-9DX Tube Screamer pedal on a local forum at a really good price. This is once again a pedal that was being used by Steve Vai when he wants to do solo boosting. He actually replaced this pedal with the Jemini and his version of the same pedal is actually a Keeley modded version. However, mine remains stock. I use this pedal as a booster to my other drive pedals, to give me a thicker, creamier saturated tone. This is especially nice when boosting a modded DS-1.

It is actually quite hard to see in the pictures but the DS-1 I have is actually a modded version. It is done with the Monte Allum Mod and it has all 3 sounds of the DS-1. The stock, All Seeing Eye and Ultra Mod sound. This is particular useful as it allows me full tonal control over the kind of sound I want. Also, with all 3 different drive pedals, I am able to achieve different gain intensity, which pretty much allows me to do any drive voicing from slight over-driven blues to Heavy Crunchy Metal Distortions. To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment