Thursday 8 December 2011

Light weight doesn't = Tone


I was having a chat with Adam from Sozo and while letting me test Jeffry's guitars, I commented that this guitar is quite on the heavy side. His immediate comment was, "Does the weight of the guitar affects the way you play? Does the Weight of the guitar affects the tone?"

My answer was naturally no for the first question and yes for the second. He urged me to strum a chord and I did. The sound of the guitar swept me away. I was kind of dumb folded. The truth is, often, we are paying to much attention to the insignificant details that might cloud our judgement. The truth is, for an acoustic/classical guitar, the heavier the weight, the better the tone. However, one might argue that for standing performers, it might be taxing. However, the truth is, how often does one stand performing with an acoustic/classical guitar? In the end of the day, it will not be as heavy as a full solid body guitar.

Well, the same cannot be said for a full solid guitar as I have had basswood guitar that is heavier than my alder guitar and the alder one definitely has a more define tone. I urge all my readers to go ahead and test your favourite instruments or at least those that you are about to buy. Let your ears be your judge. Do not let your judgement be clouded by insignificant details.

No comments:

Post a Comment