Wednesday 16 November 2011

Swan neck deformity and silver ring splint


Have you heard of the Swan Neck deformity syndrome? Well, it is a syndrome where your finger can bend back more than what it should allow and usually cause your fingers to lock up when you exert pressure in an attempt to straighten it. It isn't painful nor is it harmful.

I was born with this on my left hand. How is this relevant to guitar playing. Everytime I attempt to do a fast scale run (Usually an arpeggio sweep), my pinky locks up and I tend to hit the note half a mili-second slower. Now, that is irritating.


Silver Ring Splint created a splint specifically for this condition. What it does is that it creates a threshold where how much your fingers can bend. This prevents your fingers from over extending hence, not susceptible to locking up. I own one of these and I find it highly useful, especially in my arpeggios and precision based required playing times. This is an alternate to those who are like me, who loves the instrument but are hampered by this condition. Don't stop or be demoralized because of a condition. There are always ways created out there for you to find to solve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment