Sunday 6 November 2011

Leaving a Guitar Neck Unstrung for Long Periods of Time


Recently, I received a question from one of my friends, asking me if it is all right to leave his guitar neck off the body for a long period of time. Specifically pertaining to neck warping. My answer to that question is no.

Think about it this way, we are usually more afraid of our neck warping compared to the neck back bowing. The neck's tension is counteract by the tension of the strings. Unless you specifically set the truss rod to back bow the neck, chances are, after stringing you will still need to adjust the truss rod to keep the neck straight.

I believe that leaving the neck with a tight truss rod will however cause the neck to stay in a particular bow but that is no cause to be alarmed of. I have necks unstrung for 6 months with a tight truss rod but still function equally well, without the need to further tighten the truss rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment