Sunday 14 August 2011

A revamp of an Old guitar

So on my other post, I had shown everyone my first guitar. The one I bought for my own birthday during 2002. So I decided to revamp the guitar again. I had an extra RG520QS body which I sanded away the finish and did an existing Tung Oil finish. The neck of the Korean Made RG proved to be too thick for my liking, which measured on my Calipers to be 20mm first fret and 22mm second fret. For Ibanez purist, I know that the measurements doesn't match what Ibanez showed at their catalog for wizard II necks. However, I guess Ibanez doesn't put as much QC on their lower models (RG270DX).

So I decided to create a Frankenstein Ibanez. MIJ body (Mahogany at that) and a Korean RG neck. The catch is I sand down the neck by 2 mm, making it closer to Jem/Prestige spec following on with 4 coats of Tru-Oil Finish. Which is by far, my favourite neck Finishing of late. Neck now measures 18mm first fret and 20mm on the 12 fret. Due to the flatten back, it makes it easier for scaling while the 400mm radius makes it easier for chording and fast runs from the 12 fret onwards. It ain't exactly Prestige or Jem neck but none the less, after the modification, it still plays as well as any MIJ guitar out there.Hardware has all been switched to Gotoh for better stability. 


A picture of the whole guitar after the revamp.


This is a close up on the body of the effect of oiling. Look at how deep the wood looks like it's going because of that oil.


Check out the super low action which i enjoy. It's about 1mm at the 12 fret and this is what Rich Harris from Jemsite term as Stupid Low. It's not exactly the best action out there but it's definitely one that i enjoy playing with. So far, all my guitars are set up with this action.


Lastly, this is a picture of the neck after shaving off 2mm with the hand rubbed Tru-Oil. Look at that deep lustrous look on that maple which the grain has been "POP" by the oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment