Saturday 27 August 2011

Ibanez RG520EXQS "青鮫牙(Aosamega)"


"青鮫牙(Aosamega)" started out as a RG570EX neck I purchased from a guy who got it from Tom Lee music Hong Kong. Apparently, Tom Lee was selling Ibanez necks. I had a chance to try out an old RG550 and was deeply addicted to the super thin profile of the original wizard neck. At that time, I just bought Aohimaru "青火丸" and decided to just swap the neck over.




After swapping the neck over for a short while, I decided that I actually like the profile of the Made in Japan Wizard II neck and would prefer to keep the guitar as it is. I proceed in switching Aohimaru "青火丸" back to what it was, reinstalling the original neck.

I began hunting all over Ebay for a MIJ RG body and I happened to chanced upon a silver RG520 Body which was supposedly a RG520QS body, made of mahogany. I haven't own a mahogany bodied guitar up till that point and decided to try it anyway, considering that how rare it is at that time to get a Mahogany bodied RG.

I took a gamble, bought it and sanded it down. True enough, it was really a RG520QS, with that Quilted Salepe Veneer. I was astonished. This body later went on to house Ibanez RG(5)270DX "Frankenstein" . The body and neck has a colour mismatch but all is good for the time being. The guitar was then fitted with Dimarzio Evolutions (Since they are my all time favourite Pick ups). Surprising enough, the Evolution paired up nicely with the Mahogany. The warmth and the Treble of the Mahogany body paired up evenly with the Mid bass overdose of the Evolutions.

Recently, I've been surfing around for another guitar body to match up the color of the neck and eventually found a RG520QS that is in blue. The quilt on this body isn't as nice and more subtle but nonetheless, I wanted to retain the mahogany tone within this guitar. I went ahead and bought the guitar, transferred everything over and hence, "青鮫牙(Aosamega)" was born.

As all the parts used to construct this guitar are made in Japan parts, it is technically a made in Japan Guitar. Japanese craftsmanship is still evident in this guitar, in terms of the wood routed, painted and precision. The neck is actually an Ibanez Super Wizard Neck, the thinnest neck Ibanez has ever made and I would believe the thinnest among all electric guitars.

The neck measures 17mm on the first fret and 19mm on the 12th fret with a flat radius of 430mm. There was once, to my horror, I found lacquering flaking off the neck. I am pretty particular on stuff like that and I decided to just sand off everything, and refinished to my favourite neck finish. Hand rubbed oil finish. The neck has aged to a golden hue thus far but nonetheless, baby butt smooth. My favourite part about the Super Wizards is that it also sports a Bulbinga stripe at the back and not because of cosmetic reason. The Bulbinga stripe acts as a separate hardwood that counteracts the neck tension, therefore making it more resistance to neck warping.

This guitar got it's name "青鮫牙(Aosamega)" from the way it looks. "青鮫牙(Aosamega)" means Blue Shark Fang in Japanese. RG570EX necks are fitted with mirror shark tooth inlays and since the color of the guitar is blue , I decided to just call it Blue Shark Fang. In addition to the Evolutions, the guitar is also equipped with the Orange Drop and Treble Bleed mod.





Ibanez RG520EXQS "青鮫牙(Aosamega)" Specs
neck type: 3pc Made in Japan Super Wizard neck with Bulbinga Stipe
fingerboard: Rosewood with dot inlay
body: Transparent blue Mahogany body with Quilt Salepe Veneer
fret: Jumbo frets
bridge: Ibanez Original Edge Bridge
neck pu: Dimazio Evolution Neck
bridge pu: Dimazio Evolution Bridge

Neck Specs
Scale: 648mm/25.5"
a : Width at Nut 43mm
b : Width at Last Fret 54mm
c: Thickness at 1st 17mm
d : Thickness at 12th 19mm
Radius: 430mmR

No comments:

Post a Comment