Thursday 4 August 2011

Hello to all Part 4

So, back to my usual ramblings on how I got into playing and eventually turning out playing the way I do. the last time I stop was Nightwish. So for a while, I was playing Metal-ish stuff with very little knowledge and how to actually play the instrument. I couldn't do all those hard techniques and the most I could manage for economic picking.

Nope don't know any scales either and chord works were limited to open and power chords. I attempted learning how to do sweeping at one time but gave up because it is too hard. This was all before I lost 3 years of my life to World of Warcraft. Yea, a good time waster at that.

Anyway, after I stopped World of Warcraft, that was where the resurrection of my guitar interest begin. I will argue that it is in fact the event that made me the Guitar Otaku that I am today. Anyway, Picture of my first guitar (Not the one I got from my ex-classmate).




Yep, it's an Ibanez. Allow me to explain a bit of history on this one. I bought this guitar at year 2000 and it's actually the lowest end of the Ibanez RG series. So, at that point of time, I was really into Nightwish and if you look carefully in the Nightwish video, you can see Emppu, Nightwish's guitarist playing a guitar that has Sharktooth inlays and at that point, I thought it was the coolest thing. It was also a birthday gift for myself on year 2000. I also took the liberty to change it's pick ups to, well you probably guessed it, Dimarzio Evolutions. In fact, up till today, most of my guitars are still being fitted with Dimarzio Evolutions but that is a story for another day. Emppu actually played a washburn, but i couldn't see it properly from the video, hence I didn't got one. However, as my ex classmate was into Korn at that time and seem that the only 3 guitar brands that I knew was Fender, Gibson and Ibanez, I chose Ibanez for it's Rock-ish design. So there you have it, a combination of two ideas.

So, In this picture, the guitar has actually been re-done up. What was changed in the guitars were the Tunning pegs and the Bridge. Both of them has been retrofitted with Gotoh, and I will argue that Gototh makes the best Floyd Rose licensed Tremolo Vibrato bridge next to Ibanez.

Well anyway, at this point of my life, I was by then very well into shredding virtuoso style of music. I was listening to Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Joe Satrini, Dream Theater and etc. So what happened was I chanced upon this video on Youtube. I urge aspiring guitarist to take a look at this. It is very inspiring.



So after watching this, my first thought was, hey, if a 13 year old girl can do this, so can I! Well, so I did and started me down the road of learn how to play complex virtuoso kind of music. So yea, my second rock song was "For the Love of God" by Steve Vai.

I have to admit that it was a very hard process for a guitar player at my level at that time but after that one song, my fingers were kind of being conditioned for fast runs and such in a certain way, and my playing style currently is still somewhat being influence by how this song is being played. So yea, I learned how to play this song, again without having any knowledge on theory or whatsoever and as a matter of fact, I still don't, however I do admit that if I do, I might be able to understand the song a lot better.

To be Continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment