Thursday 5 April 2012

The Jem neck and the Wizard II neck


The two guitars that accompany me for today are my Jem and my RG470FM. Here is a little myth buster. If you go to the Ibanez website and check out the measurements for the Jem neck and the Wizard II neck, they have the same measurements but the radius being the only one that is different. The neck measure first fret at 19mm and 12th fret at 21mm. Jem's radius is 430mm while the Wizard II is 400mm.




I used to think that the Japanese Wizard neck is very close to the Jem neck as it actually has 430mm as it's radius instead. So theoretically, the measurements are the same! Well, after I got a Jem, and having my RG470FM with me, I did a side by side comparison and I can debunk the myth. They are 2 different necks. Guess Ibanez isn't that stupid to offer the neck with the same measurement on a lower model.

The main difference is the back of the neck. Jem neck feels somewhat flatter behind. And due to that, the radius of the neck feels somewhat flatter too, almost concave. So, next time someone claims that the Wizard II is actually a Jem neck, well... not so.

No comments:

Post a Comment