Thursday 5 April 2012

New set of coated strings and Stainless Steel strings


I was looking at the product line at one of those American guitar stores and I saw the word Stainless Steel screaming at me. Stainless steel strings. Really? I was intrigued. I didn't know they exist! I have been using "Good Strings" and it says made with Korean steel on the packaging. I presume that's just regular steel. But, Stainless steel! Really? First thing that came to my mind way, how do they even work? Stainless steel isn't magnetic by nature, so there is no way the pickups can pick up any wave signals from the stainless steel strings.

After further investigation, apparently, only the wound strings are stainless. The first 3 non wound strings are just regular plain steel. There goes my hope of finding an alternative for elixir strings. Well, nonetheless I head down to Davis and asked for the cheapest set of stainless steel they have, which was SLT stainless steels. I shall test them and see how long they can last against Korean steel.

Taking a turn to SV Guitars, I decided to step in and see what range of strings they have. They have brands that I never even seen before in my life. Dr Duck strings and D-tuned strings are such examples. Do note that just because of my ignorance on string brands doesn't mean they are crappy strings. As a matter of fact, they aren't that cheap and with that price tag, I presume they aren't cheap get by strings like "Good Strings".

I saw Elixir hanging on the shelf, with out the "Made with anti rust steel" tag. Meh. I saw GHS Coated Boomers. Wait a minute. Did I read coated? I've tried DR. Those are really bad by the way. Never get DR color coated. Those are the worst coated strings ever. They sound like rusty strings even freshly from packs. Elixirs on the hand sounds new even when rusty (the irony). So the helpful staff from SV Guitars gave me a comparison of Elixir and GHS Coated Boomers. Apparently, these GHS coated last longer than non coated strings (They are coated for a reason you know) but not as good as Elixir. However, the objective review of the current batch of Elixir is that it rusts really fast. So, I guess that might actually bring them down to equal. I decided to just buy a pack to try them and see how they fair against Elixir.

Wait for reviews for both sets of strings!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, how is the review for the GHS coated strings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, great to see you around!

    I haven't tried it. Waiting for my stainless steel set to die off first. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you are right that Stainless Steel Coatings Guitar is like heaven. You can use this Guitar for the best songs.

    ReplyDelete